Students going to school with a bag full of textbooks and exercise books weighing them down has been a common aspect of the conventional education system. Therefore, the concept of burdening young learners with expectations and aspirations is quite fitting in this scenario.
Moreover, the examination system, which is an integral part of the academic structure, has been rigid and outdated for a long time. Thankfully, with the resurgence of online learning, institutes adopted various modern mechanisms, such as AI, for evaluating students. Also, incorporating an online examination system turned out to be a primary strategy.
How AI Contribute to the Online Examination System and Enhance Learning Outcomes?
The education sector is going through a disruption wherein advanced tools and applications are enabling teachers to transform teaching and learning processes. Besides, the syllabus and curriculum are going through a major shift; institutes have been emphasising more diverse content.
On the other hand, the examination system that has been heavily relying on the pen-and-paper method needs a revamp. That is why an online exam is an appropriate method; however, institutes cannot solely opt for online tests.
For instance, students need to take the final or qualifying exams for the next semester or class in the traditional way.
Furthermore, these are significant tests and require teachers to cautiously check the individual answer sheets. Hence, it takes a lot of time and effort; this is where AI can play a vital part by allowing the technology to auto-check the exam answer sheets.
Simply put, institutes can use AI-powered tools to scan and segment students’ handwritten answers, after which they can send them to different examiners. Furthermore, respective examiners can check the answers and implement online marking.
Besides, AI-grading software ensures speed of marking, secured delivery of tests, quality assurance and real-time tracking of grading.
Reducing Post-Examination Process Pressure
Pre-examination tasks relate to the scheduling of the examinations, preparing and safekeeping question papers, and ensuring smooth facilitation. Post-examination process is just as stressful and time-consuming but rarely does anyone highlight the multi-process task.
How to Prevent Cheating during the Online Exam Conduction Process?
Besides, teachers and examiners are the ones who bear the responsibility of checking and grading the answer sheets within a stipulated time. Also, as per the traditional process, they need to prepare the report card and add relevant remarks.
But relying on the pen-and-paper method can be physically exhausting, especially when there are many students in the class.
The solution lies in the AI tools, which can help teachers to complete the grading process conveniently; for instance, an AI paper grader is an excellent system due to the following reasons:
- AI tool’s grading feature auto-updates itself by obtaining new information. It also has the ability to adjust its grading settings by scanning human-graded papers.
- Thanks to the optical character recognition facility, it can grade manuscripts of research papers and essays.
- It can check the content of multiple languages, enabling teachers to auto-grade answer sheets of different languages.
- Institutes can integrate an AI paper checker or a grade calculator with an existing virtual interface or an online exam software as it is compliant with different programming languages.
Enhance Students Outcomes
I hate exams!!! The mere thought of it sickens me” is a statement that students often say to express their disdain towards it. However, ignoring their personal contempt, they focus on studying solely to pass their respective tests.
But is that enough? If the ultimate goal of studying is just to avoid failing in classes, then attaining such marks will be of little to no use.
On top of that, an exam-centric system has been central to the Indian education system, which leads to rote learning and creates hyper-competitiveness.
Top 10 Reasons to use Online Examination System for Schools, Colleges & Universities
Fortunately, NEP 2020 aims to change the entire education structure and revamping the examination process is a significant part of it. For instance, formative assessments will be crucial, and teachers will implement them at the end of each lesson.
Plus, when examinations become a regular part of classroom sessions, they will help teachers determine students’ progress. Also, teachers can identify the following:
- Students’ continuous progress from the term’s beginning to the end.
- Student’s ability to understand core concepts and their relation to learning outcomes.
- The amount of time it takes for them to solve problems.
- Their analytical skills to apply the lessons learned in the class to real-world problems.
- With the help of regular assessments, teachers can keep track of students’ overall development, thereby improving student outcomes.
Shifting completely to online assessments may not be ideal because conventional in-person tests are compulsory. Hence, hybrid mode examination is an appropriate assessment type.
Meanwhile, institutes still have to face multiple questions related to the authenticity of the online examination system. And students using unfair means, including creative and clever ways of cheating, are highly responsible.
That is where institutes can use AI to reduce fraudulent activities through the following methods:
- First, plagiarism detectors help detect copied content.
- AI-based algorithms keystroke signatures by evaluating keyboard speed and pressure.
- It helps develop different question papers, enabling teachers to assign randomised exam questions.
- AI-based proctoring software is an advanced tool that helps institutes conduct cheat-free tests. Furthermore, the tool records student activity throughout the examination and sends automated alerts upon detecting suspicious activity.
Is there a way to reduce the stress of exam pressure and make it more student-friendly? Teachers can certainly restructure class assessments and make them more beneficial for students.
In fact, they can use AI to customise class assignments depending on individual learning levels, which will help students to progress at their pace.
Besides, it is an excellent strategy as it does not force learners to speed through the learning process. Instead, they can master the understanding of a concept at their convenience.
On the other hand, if they encounter any difficulties or make a mistake in a particular homework or classwork, teachers can send immediate feedback.
Furthermore, instant feedback is useful for facilitating productive student-teacher communication; it also reduces hesitation and awkwardness, enabling learners to share their issues.
To Wrap It Up,
AI-powered tools have developed way beyond their inception stage and progressed into advanced technology.
In fact, education institutes can benefit immensely from them; AI applications and tools can help authenticate exams. Also, it provides various mechanisms to increase online and offline exam security.